Pages

Breastfeeding With Large Boobs

Is it a myth or fact that it is harder to breast feed when you have bigger boobs? Personally I feel it is a myth, the main thing is to make sure your baby is positioned correctly which allows them to feed and is also suitable way for you. I think having bigger boobs just means you have to use a different technique to a woman with smaller boobs. I fall into the DD+ category, I have just finished breastfeeding with my one year old girl.

Initially I encouraged my baby to latch onto me herself; this was fine to start with. However I found once my milk started to come in that it would take me ages to feed my baby as she would mess about with my nipples and fling her arms around everywhere making it virtually impossible to feed her. Fortunately I had a very good midwife come to visit me so I mentioned the problem I was having. 


She told me I needed to take control of the feeding, not the baby. Firstly I had to wrap a blanket round my baby to keep her arms out of the way, this was one of the best tips I was given! Secondly I lined my baby up with my nipple and boob then brushed my nipple against her mouth, once her mouth opened wide (mouth does have to be open wide) I gently but firmly pushed her onto my nipple. I was also advised to support the back of my baby's head with one hand and support my boob with the other. Once I had mastered the art of taking control my baby rarely messed about so my nipples weren't as sore.

If you are struggling to breast feed keep going as it does get easier, speak to your midwife, health visitor or contact the National Breastfeeding Helpline on 0300 100 0212. Also join your local mothers and toddlers group and get talking to other mothers, they can be a useful source of information. Remember that breastfeeding is new to both you and your baby and it will take time and patience to get it right. Some areas of the UK have breastfeeding support groups, I never attended one of these but I know of other new Mums who did and they found it helpful. They are usually run by women who have breastfed themselves and received additional training.

To help with sore nipples used to spend a bit of time with no top or bra on. I fed my little girl using skin to skin contact then I wipe my nipples clean and just sit with no top on with my baby on my knee for 15 or 20 minutes (I made sure the door was locked!). I have also massaged a little breast milk into my nipples and also use Boots Expert Moisturising Nipple Cream. To absorb any leakage I used Boots Washable Breast Pads, these are great as they can be re-used but I also found them more comfortable than the disposable breast pads.

Use a good supporting nursing bra preferably lined with a natural material like cotton, meaning you are less likely to be sensitive to the material or sweat too much. My preferred nursing bras are from Hotmilk, Freya, Cake and Lorna Drew, all do larger cup size nursing bras. Hotmilk don't go up as far in cup size as Lorna Drew and Freya. I purchased my bras from the following sites;

http://www.nursingbra-shop.co.uk

http://www.bra-chest.co.uk

Hotmilk bras have a lovely supportive lining which I really liked, sometimes they were a bit too over decorative if I wanted to wear under a summer top. Freya are fairly plain so great for under summer tops as well as being supportive and having a good size range. The Cake bra I bought I wore towards the end of breastfeeding, this had a flexible wire in which gave me a better shape, however I wouldn't have liked to worn this when I first started to breast feed. I felt the Cake bra wasn't as flexible, a bra with a bit of give in it is essential to start with as my breasts would change in size between and after feeds. I found the Lorna Drew bra good for fluctuating breast size, these bras have an extra plastic clip which adjusts the cup size of the bra which is an excellent idea and makes for a more comfortable fit.

The best advice I received when I first set out breastfeeding was to persevere as it does get easier, it just takes time. After all you and your baby are doing something new, something neither of you have done before.


Article Source: Allison R Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment